To vote in a Harris County election, you must be registered to vote at least 30 days before the election date. To CHANGE YOUR name or address, a completed and signed applications is also required.
Eligibility for Registration
To be eligible for registration as a voter in this state, a person must:
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Be a United States citizen;
- Not have been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
- Totally MENTALLY incapacitated; or
- Partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
- Not have been finally convicted of a felony or, if so convicted, must have:
- Fully discharged the person’s sentience, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a PERIOD of probation ordered by any court, or
- Been pardoned or otherwise release from the resulting disability to vote; and
- Be a resident of the county in which application for REGISTRATION is made.
How to obtain a Voter Registration Application
You can obtain a Voter Registration Application by doing any of the following:
- Visiting any Harris County Tax Office location and submitting a completed, signed form from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday (go to www.harrisvotes.com for a list of locations.).
- Going to www.harrisvotes.com to download and print an application in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, or Chinese;
- Requesting an application online from the Texas Secretary of State;
- Sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and the Harris County Tax Office will mail you a paper application. It is important that you provide your mailing address and telephone number in the email;
- Calling (713) 274-8683 if you need to be assisted in English, Spanish, Vietnamese or Chinese; or
- Picking up an application at any US Post office, library, high school, Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) site, Texas Health and Human Services Commission and other government offices.
You will Need Identification to Vote
You are required to bring a photo ID to vote in Texas. To avoid delay, when you register to vote, you should enter your first, middle and last name that match the ID you intend to use.
Acceptable Forms of Identification
- Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
- Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
- Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS
- United States passport.
- Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
- United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
- United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
*To be eligible to apply for registration, a person must, on the date the registration application is submitted to the registrar be at least 17 years and 10 months of age and satisfy the above requirements except for age.
*A person is not considered to have been finally convicted of an offense for which the criminal proceedings are deferred without an adjudication of guilt.